The Ebonyi government said it is yet to ascertain the impact of the cholera outbreak that occurred in some communities in Ikwo Local Government Area of the state.
Director of Public Health in the state, Hyacinth Ebenyi, said on Friday that the government was aware of the outbreak but is yet to ascertain the number of affected persons as well as the dead.
“We have heard the information. Right now, we are going to the communities. Until we get there, we will not know the number of persons affected.
“There were reports earlier in November of an outbreak in the area. Health personnel in the state Ministry of Health were mobilised; samples were taken and sent to the laboratory, but all the tests were negative for cholera.
“The report was very clear why the samples returned negative, because they were already on drugs. It could be that the medication has made the disease submerge.
“Right now, we have heard of another outbreak but we are yet to ascertain the impact. The medical team in the ministry is going to the affected community and when we come back, we will be able to tell the impact and if there are any deaths,” he explained.
On the number of deaths, the director said there were also reports that some people had died, noting that he would not be able to give an accurate figure.
The chairman of Ikwo LGA, Steven Orogwu, has debunked rumours on social media that about 65 persons have been affected by cholera in the area.
According to Mr Orogwu, only nine persons out of 16 cases have died.