Football legend, Diego Maradona died on Wednesday, of a cardiac arrest at his home in Argentina. He was aged 60.
In honour of him, Ebonyi News Network we have made a list of things you should know A Legend(Maradona).
1. Maradona was born October 30, 1960, in Lanus, just outside Buenos Aires, and grew up in one of the poorest areas of the Argentine capital.
2. He made his debut for Argentinos Juniors just before his 16th birthday and his debut for Argentina at age 16 in February, 1977.
3. He won the Golden Ball at the 1979 Under-20 World Cup in Japan.
4. His senior World Cup debut was in 1982 in Spain.
5. The 1986 World Cup in Mexico defined his career, especially the 2-1 victory over England.
6. His last World Cup match was against Nigeria in America, 24th June 1994
7. On his club career, Maradona moved to Barcelona for a world record fee in 1982
8. Facing a ban in Spain after a brawl, Maradona moved to Napoli, becoming the first player to break the world transfer record twice.
9. Maradona was a supporter of Cuban leader Fidel Castro, whose image he had tattooed on his shoulder, and Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez.
10. During his lifetime, Maradona suffered from cocaine addiction and went into rehab several times.
11. When he quit cocaine, he binged instead on drink, cigars and food and ended up in hospital in 2007.
- 2019: Governor Umahi, Chairman of South Eastern PDP Governors Forum Endorse Peter Obi for PDP Vice President
12. As a coach, Maradona served as Argentina coach from 2008-2010, he also managed clubs in UAE and Mexico.
13. Maradona gained 54 per cent of the vote against Pele who was second with 18 per cent, on a FIFA poll to decide the player of the Century.
14. Maradona married his long-time girlfriend Claudia Villafane in 1984. They had two daughters, Dalma and Gianinna, and divorced in 2004.
15. He also had a son, Diego Junior, born in Naples in 1986, although he only acknowledged paternity in 2004.